Includes affiliate links that help offset our expenses at no cost to you.
In this outdoor cook-off with the Fortune Bay Expedition Team, we challenged folks to cook something amazing using only a wood fire as the heat source. No fossil fuels, no alcohol stoves, no electric appliances. It was an opportunity to learn new outdoor cooking techniques while enjoying some amazing food and good company.
Also check out our video on building the Portable Wood Fired Pizza Oven.
Here are some links to the books that inspired this cook-off and that we gave away to the lucky winners, and some of the other cool gadgets we used:
- Cooking with Fire: From Roasting on a Spit to Baking in a Tannur, Rediscovered Techniques and Recipes That Capture the Flavors of Wood-Fired Cooking
- Camping Cookbook, Beyond Marshmallows and Hot Dogs: Foil Packet – Grilling – Campfire Cooking – Dutch Oven
- Light my Fire Grandpa’s FireGrill Campfire Cooking Grill: A very packable grill basket with a built-in clamp that attaches it to a stick
- GSI Outdoors Hard Anodized Dutch Oven: Cooks just as well as cast iron, but weighs only 1/3 as much
- Hammered Copper Coffee Pot (Cezve/Ibrik/Briki) with Lid, 2mm Thick Copper (20 Oz): We like this extra-large size for versatility, and because we like large cups of coffee!